Sunday, June 5, 2011

If you CAN read, then READ!

What is it with people who refuse to read?  Whether it's books, magazines, or internet articles we can not expect to improve our lot in life without reading!

I must admit that I have ulterior motives for suggesting people read more.  Being the most recent person to commit their views to pen and paper and submit them to the world in the form of a book, I do somewhat fear that with all of the recent technology, my book will be lost in space.

I also fear that today's generation, (who can't make change without the use of technology), will be doomed to repeat some of the same mistakes from our history, simply because no one will pick up a book and read!

I advocate books because, even though I love the internet, having a background in computers I realize that garbage in, is garbage out.  Meaning that anyone with a computer and a keyboard can type in their reality and make it somewhat real because it is found in a search engine when we go to look for it!

Most of us grew up in the land of Dr. Seuss, Mother Goose and the Brothers Grimm, so we must insists that our children read more than the customary school assignment.

Even in a time of I pads, I phones, Facebook, and Twitter there is still something to be learned from Confucius, Aristotle and Shakespeare.

And if your children have outgrown bedtime stories, try monthly trips to the library* (definition below) or family trips to the book store.  Your family may be pleasantly surprised by what's in store.

(What is a library you may ask - a place where you can get books for free)

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment