I must admit that at some point I took life for granted. I had a great deal of things that I thought about accomplishing but that was it. I just thought about them. I really didn't take any actions to bring those things into existence. I was comfortable with my 9 - 5 job and that was that.
Then someone asked me. What would you do if you only had 6 months to live? That one question woke up my heart and jolted me into action. What would I do if I only had 6 months to live? What legacy would I leave for my children? More importantly what would they write on my tombstone? What skills and dreams would I take to the grave with me?
So I made a laundry list of things I wanted to accomplish. I wanted to write a book, create a business that would carry my children into adulthood, and leave my family financially secure.
I could have been doing these things for the first 41 years of my life, but I wasn't. It was only when I was asked the question and learned NOT to take life for granted that I started to pursue my dreams with the abandoned of a child playing outside. Remember those days. We had no fear, we did the most each day, and we knew that regardless as to if we fell down there would always be tomorrow. We loved life and living so much that even MUD tasted good!
So here I am having started this journey in March of 2011. On the far side of having accomplished many of the things on my "bucket list". As I move into 2012, I plan on asking quite a few people the same question that was asked of me. What would you do with 6 months to live?
I hope their answer is the same as mine. To accomplish the things that they have always wished they could, to move beyond the fear of failure, to challenge the world as if there were no tomorrow because tomorrow is not guaranteed, and to leave a legacy that our children will be proud of.
And to pray each day for 6 MORE months and prove the naysayers wrong!
No comments:
Post a Comment